John Tedstrom, Founder & CEO of NextGen Leaders, has held senior positions in government, civil society and the private sector, integrating issues of national security, economics, and social justice. Prior to founding NextGen Leaders, John formed the advisory firm Tedstrom Associates, which advises businesses, government agencies and philanthropic foundations on LGBTQ equality and related matters. For seven years, Tedstrom Associates was the “firm of record” for The Coca-Cola Company on LGBTQ issues. Other clients included iconic brands such as the National Basketball Association and U.S. State Department. John served in the White House where he advised President Clinton on Russia, Ukraine and the Newly Independent States. Following his government service, he founded and led major international organizations fighting HIV/AIDS and other global health challenges. Earlier in his career, Dr. Tedstrom directed research and taught economics and national security policy at RAND and Columbia University’s School for International and Public Affairs.
Dr. Tedstrom is director and chair emeritus of the LGBTQ Victory Institute board of directors. He also serves on the boards of Equality California and the Global Business Coalition for Education. He has lived in Munich, Moscow, and Kyiv, and earned a Ph.D. in international economics and Russian studies from the University of Birmingham, England. He is the author of scores of academic articles; his book, Socialism, Perestroika and the Dilemmas of Soviet Economic Reform, was published in 1990. He is a Chopra Center Certified meditation instructor.
Our Advisory Board
In addition to our Core Faculty, NextGen Leaders benefits extensively from a diverse group of committed and engaged leaders who serve on our Advisory Board.
- Michael Bloch – SVP, Business Support | Bank of America
- Alan Brewer – Head of Instructional Design and Professional Development | BlackRock
- Michel Buffet – Senior Client Partner | Korn Ferry
- Ed Harnaga – SVP, Global Head of Communications & Enterprise Reputation | Pfizer
- Scarlett Moss – Chief Marketing and Communications Officer | Southwestern University
- Todd Gloria – Mayor | San Diego, CA
- Georgette Gomez – former President | San Diego City Council
- Justine Gonzalez – Local Advocacy Director | CA Charter Schools Association (NextGen Alum ‘17)
- Brad Hankins – Co-Founder | Scouts for Equality
- Sally Jesmonth – Program Manager | Google (NextGen Alum ‘17)
- Matt Kidd – Executive Director, Emeritus | Reaching Out MBA
- Ricardo Lara – Commissioner | California Insurance Commission
- Asm. Evan Low – Ass’t. Majority Whip; Chair Business & Professions Cmte; Chair LGBTQ Caucus
- Ken McNeely – President | AT&T Western Region
- Lisa Middleton – Councilmember | Palm Springs City Council
- Greg Propper – Founder & CEO | PropperDaley
- Robert Raben – Founder and President | The Raben Group
- Joyce Rowland – Sr. Vice President, Chief Human Resource Officer (ret.) | Sempra Energy
- JD Schramm – Author, Executive Communications Coach
- Pamela Stewart – President West Operations, | The Coca-Cola Co. & Board Chair, GLAAD
- Mattheus Stephens – Attorney and Lecturer, University of California San Diego | San Diego
- Mike Thompson – Vice President, Marketing | Gartner, Inc.
- Matthew Vasilakis – Co-Director of Policy | Climate Action Campaign
- Moe Vela – President & CEO | The Vela Group